Monday, March 14, 2011

Coastal Elders Flee Tsunami Up to Cuenca

Hello Family,
How are you all?  This last week I got a big load of letters that had been building up.  I think I am updated up until Feb 20 or so.
The two elders farthest to the left,
Elders Soto and Winterton, stayed with us
I am guessing you heard about the big Tsunami that hit Japan.  On Friday, Zona Machala 2 came up to Cuenca because they put the whole coast on alert.  They gave the Machala elders 10 minutes notice to arrive at the bus terminal the morning of the Tsunami.  They had to pack pretty light.  Elder Soto and Elder Winderton stayed in our apartment in Totoracocha.  Because Elder Soto was so unaccustomed to the cold after spending his whole mission in the coast, he had to resort to wearing some of the left over sisters’ clothes for a few extra layers of warmth in the night.

Elder Ludlam shanked it one too many times!
We had a few problems with Carlos this week.  He has problems believing that he can keep the law of chastity.  I think he got ashamed because he tried for a while to hide from us.  I guess he realized we just wanted to help him because he eventually let us talk to him again.  He wants to make the necessary changes in his life, but is afraid it will be too hard.  He has a distinct ring tone and it goes off a lot, which has been very helpful in detecting him when he tries to leave the house.  He also lives in the same building, next door to a member, so whenever she finds us waiting outside Carlos’s door, she says, “Is Carlos hiding again?  Let me take care of this.”  She then marches into his house like his mom or something and says, “Carlos, get out here.  The missionaries are waiting!”  I am pretty sure that she has had a lot of direct talks with Carlos.

Elders Palacio, Sánchez, Ludlam and Nuñez
Anyway, we also found a new investigator who really likes LDS artwork, and has made a business of making reprints and selling them.  I think if she does not want to come to church next week, we may have to teach ‘Honoring and Sustaining the Law,’ especially copyright law.  It is, after all, a PMG (Preach My Gospel) lesson.

I did not really understand what your ‘cottage meeting’ was.  I really enjoyed the articles you have been sending me.  It really is true how as you start your mission, the Lord gives you an idea of the type of missionary he wants you to become, but is up to you to implement the things you know you need to do.

Well, until next time.  I will be waiting tomorrow to know how you all were on Feb 27.
Sincerely, Maldul Redle

1 comment:

  1. Carlos and the copyright lady sound interesting. Good job at loving them and continuing to look after them.

    ReplyDelete