Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Plans for Peru & "Real" Teaching Experiences

Hello Family,

I just got your package last night.  I am glad that the little ones made something.  I did notice that Luci said her picture was of her and me playing, but I could only find one blond head in the picture. I guess that means I am too quiet when I play with her.

We got our flight plans this week.  I will be leaving SLC at 9:45am on 9/22 and arriving at Atlanta, GA at 3:40 pm and then flying to Peru at 5:05 pm.  I will get to call you at the airports so we should try and pick a time.  I will have one more P-day before I leave.  I heard that in the Peru MTC, all the missionaries from the states get paired with a native companion and you can only speak Spanish to them and they can only speak English to you.  The natives only stay for three weeks so I will probably have two different companions in Peru.  We also get to do contacts outside on Sundays and go on exchanges with the elders serving in the area. 
My District with our teacher, Hermano Finter

I met an elder from Ecuador.  His name is Elder Zambrano.  He tells me that that is popular name in Ecuador.  He grew up in the Guayaquil South area so he has been telling me about all the things the elders in Ecuador have liked.  He says that I'll like cerviche, the soup with lots of shrimp and other seafood in it.  He's never heard of it "messing up any of the missionaries stomachs."  He says that every year on New Years, they make año viejos, life-size paper mache replicas of famous or popular people that you light on fire.  He said, "Don't worry, a lot of missionaries wake up and think there is a war going on, but it is just New Years.  Elder Zambrano comes and plays soccer with our district every day so most of the other elders know him well, too.

We learned that the Bolivian missionaries will not be joining us down in Peru.  They will finish their last six weeks here in Provo.  We are all a little disappointed as we've grown close together working to learn the language and to teach with the Spirit.  We had our first teaching experience at the Teaching Resource Center.  They have volunteers from the community come and role play investigators.  You get to contact them and they come back and we teach them a whole lesson.  After we started teaching, the dynamics of our whole district changed.  Everyone got really excited and were able to focus on working towards being better teachers. For some elders, it was their first time doing real teaching.  Elder Heaps and I have also made a few appointments at the Teaching Evaluation Center.  These appointments are shorter, but you focus in depth on a particular aspect of your teaching.  We have mostly worked on contacting people.  We have learned a lot and our teaching is quickly improving.
Our other teacher, Hermano Frampton (very top)

I am grateful for the many people who have written me.  I hope I will be able to write them back soon.  They don't give you much time to write people here at the MTC.  Maybe I will get more time in Peru to write.  They are supposedly a lot more relaxed with less rules there.  There are only a hundred or so missionaries in Peru.  I hope to hear from you soon.  Make sure to ask questions about the things you want to hear about.

Love,
Elder Grant Ludlam

No comments:

Post a Comment