Monday, May 23, 2011

Transfer to Las Amazonas!

Hello Family,

I spent many exchanges with my district leader Elder Hicks
while I was in Los Almendros
Well, guess what.  I am in yet another area!  In my 5 transfers in the field I have had 6 areas and 5 companions.  My new companion's name is Elder Castro from Bogota, Colombia.  He is awesome.  He was a sergeant in the Colombian Army with 300 men under his command.  This next transfer he ends his mission, so I guess I will be the one to see him off.  Our area is called Las Amazonas.
Wednesday I got to have my first trip to the Guayaquil temple.  I wish we had permission to go more often.  It is so peaceful there.

Odalis, Maria Jose, Ana
Anyway, in my first half week in my new area, I've come to know all the dollies (?) of Elder Torrealva, Elder Castro's previous companion.  Elder Castro told me that in this mission, missionaries like to use two main stratagies to try and get a few quick baptisms.  1. Plan Titanic: Go for the women and children, 2. Plan James Bond: Baptize all your dollies.  Right now we are in Plan James Bond.  There are about 6 chicas we are working the most with.  Three of them, Ana Cortez, Odalis Cortez, and Maria José Borja are progressing the very rapidly.  They already have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and have said that it has already helped them find solutions to some of their family problems.  They are very excited for their upcoming baptism. 


Familia Jalka Banguera
The other three, Yanina, Liset, and Carla Jalka Bangera, are still pretty unsure about accepting the gospel.  They like our visits but we learned yesterday that their extended family is opposed to the church.  They have all agreed that they have felt the Holy Ghost testifying to them in a few of our visits, but do not want to accept everything we have taught them, particularly the Book of Mormon.  They have been praying for an answer.  We are praying we will be able to help them accept their answer.  Unfortunately, they are expecting God to answer them in the manner they want.  We explained when the Holy Ghost speaks to us it is more felt than heard.

Our District
Well, I am sorry, but I could not find my adapter cord to send you pictures.  I'll try to get them to you next week.  We had a district activity today on top of our house.  We had a barbeque.  This area is a lot more like an average Guayaquil sector.  It is a lot like my first sector with Elder Gonzalez.  I don't know why, but all my previous sectors have been the most affluent parts of the mission.
Parrillada on top of our six-story house
I guess this means I have run even farther ahead of my mail.  I hope I´ll at least get your latest letter this week.  I am now about a month and a half behind in letters.  Well, I'll talk to you next week.
Love, Elder Ludlam

No comments:

Post a Comment