Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th!

Dear Family,

How are you all?  I almost forgot about the 4th.  We talked about it in district meeting last week, but I didn’t blow anything up to celebrate.  I did remember Mom’s birthday, though.  I’ll make a special birthday feel-y just for the occasion.

This week we found a few of Joao’s friends to start teaching.  One of them is named Miguel Antonio Perlaza.  He has known the missionaries for several years.  He has wanted to be baptized for a while but his mother does not want to let him.  We found a very dubious baptismal permission slip with his name on it, but he said that it is not his mom’s signature-- nor was he in the country on the date that it was signed.  What were those elders up to?  

Anyway, a year back he was practically an active member.  He came to church with us again for the first time in a few months and said he had forgotten how much he liked church and that it just felt right.  All the members remembered him and were very happy to see him.  I love fellowshipping members.

Speaking of our ward, they just called a few ward missionaries.  We will have to see how it turns out (there is still some of that chisme (gossip) business that is still unresolved).  It made me excited to see the bishop handing out copies of Preach My Gospel.  Does the ward back home use it a lot?  I guess I wasn’t paying attention.  The sister who teaches our New Member Gospel Doctrine class, Adriana Apolinario, is in charge of getting the new ward missionaries up to speed.  She is an ex- missionary and is very excited to be back in the obra misional (missionary work).  It looks like they will just focus on teaching the new member discussions.

Well, this will be the last week for Elder Castro.  He’ll be home next Tuesday eating breakfast at his house (he has to get to the airport at ).  I really am enjoying myself. Elder Castro has been my best companion since Papa Gonzalez.  I heard Elder Gonzalez was released as Zone Leader. He is going to train for his last two transfers which means I am no longer his "unigenito" (only son) as he likes to call me.

Well, it looks like you had a fun birthday on the lake.  Dad looks very distinguished in his hat.  I love you all.  I’ll talk to you soon.

Girndle the Gruñón 

Special Birthday Feely:
Well, know that Elder Catro is leaving, I  will be left to show my companion the new sector.  This will be the first time I'll be left in a sector.  I've been thinking about who I know that could be a cool companion and I realized almost everyone I am friends with in the mission is leaving this transfer or will be leaving in one or two.  Now I am the old missionary (10 months this last Friday).  Everybody thinks that I am going to get bumped up in seniority when Elder Castro leaves.  It is kind of scary.  If they give me a junior companion, I think we are just going to knock doors all day because I won't know what else to do.  I am not sure what I am trying to say exactly, but the mission has seemed to get a little lonelier all of a sudden.  Sorry.  That wasn't a very happy birthday feely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment