Monday, March 5, 2012

Solana is a nice little ward

Dearest Family,

How are you all this fine Monday afternoon?

Are these photos of the first loads out to the east?  I just realized the other day I won’t be able to defend any of my stuff.  I don’t know if I can trust anyone in my family to know what’s really important in my room. 

Well, guess what, Elder Johnson just moved in to live with us.  He is Elder Carnese’s new companion.  The other guy, Elder Child, got called to be Assistant.  I thought it was pretty cool.  The old Assistant, Elder Pavon, came to live with us for half a day.  He was so laid back.  Everything he said and did seem to say, "FREE!"  I think he was happy to get out of there.

Andres' baptism with now Eyner Barboza
Well, Solana is a nice little ward.  It is in the same zone as all of the downtown Guayaquil wards.  It’s really flat and has lots of two-story buildings.  We’ve been working with a young man named Andrés.  He’s a super-escogido (super chosen or elect).  This month the stake is having a big missionary focus and part of their plan is to have all the members read the book of Mormon this month.  Andrés said that he wants to read the Book of Mormon with the members.  His mom and sister both came with him to church this past week, so we are looking forward to working with them.

Things are working better with my companion.  There was a lot of belly-aching, but nothing a few service opportunities couldn’t fix.  I have been thinking a lot about companions lately and I’ve realized that when we are out there in the cold, mean world, he’s the only one out there that’s on my team.  It made me want to be a better friend.  He really is a good guy.  He hasn’t had the best companions.  Anyway, I’ve been trying to change my teaching styles in a way that I never really have before--to try and really support him when we are teaching.  It has turned out really well.
 
We are having problems finding a cyber with the right kind of memory port.  I think Elder Carnese has an adapter he can lend us.  No quiso prestárnoslo hoy (He didn’t want to lend it to us today for the camera).  That’s really great about Elder Clayton (Grant’s college roommate was called to serve his mission in Oregon!).  You’ll have to look up his address so I can try and write him.  I’ve been thinking of writing Taffin, too.  I imagine Elder Kurt already got back from Chile.

Well, I’m sorry, my companion is kicking me off.  I’ll have to talk to you all soon.
Ciao,
Mr Girndle

This week I´d like to write a little message to Granny.

Dear Granny Marjorie,

How are you?  My family has been writing me about all the times they have been able to visit you for holidays and birthdays.  I always wish I could be with them and see you, too.  It is so wonderful here in Ecuador.  The people are so kind and generous.  Uncle Paul would love the sea food.  I've spent a large part of my mission up in the Andes in a city called Cuenca.  It is Ecuador's wealthiest city.  It has a very nice climate.  I am sure you would like it here.  Do you like foreign food?

Well, I am guessing you have heard my family will be moving out to the East Coast.  We will have to have a big Oregon trip when I get back so I can see you, and Grandma Cheryle and Grandpa Bob and the rest of the family.  I just wanted to say how much I love you and think about you.  Love, Elder Ludlam

No comments:

Post a Comment