Monday, January 10, 2011

Back to Work in 2011

Hello Family,

I am happy to hear that Livi had a great experience at her baptism. I am thinking of counting it in my weekly statistics report to President Montalti. I hope you know how important a choice this is in your life, Livi. Your Heavenly Father is very proud of you and is ready to be able to talk to you like never before in your life. You should explain to a few people here in Monay why they should get baptized, too.

Well, we found a great family. They have a lot of problems in their life, but are so hopeful that they can turn their lives around with the Gospel. When we knocked on their door, the mother told us about how she is really worried that their family will be able to stay together because of her husband’s drinking problem. After a few lessons, they told us that he has not taken a drink in the last week and every night they read from the scriptures and pray as husband and wife. They are really excited about having us come and teach them. After we shared the First Vision with them, the wife remembered how before her mother past away, she told her about long ago when two young men came to teach her and gave her a book that made her feel "the most light she had every felt in her life." She said she now realized those two young men so many years ago were us.

I had an interesting experience with my Branch President. His parents are the people who live above us and rent us the apartment we live in. They left a big box of old sheet music outside our door that I think they wanted to throw away. One day we found Presidente Reivan going through the box of music when he found his copy of November Rain from Guns 'n Roses that he had lost in the days of his rebellious youth, twenty years ago. When he learned that I played the piano, he made Elder Salvioli and I come upstairs to play it on the piano. Elder Salvioli took guitar and Presidente Reivan did the vocals. He is not quite Axl Rose, but I think that is for the best. Anyway, that was one thing I was not expecting to do here on my mission. Now I have made my confession.

It was nice to get back to the normal routine of missionary life after the holidays. It only took everyone about two days to recover from their riotous New Years. We were able to find some new investigators and work with the members again.

We had to let a bunch of our long time investigators go this week. It is always hard when you’ve had such spiritual experiences with people and you know that they know what they need to do, but they decide that they don’t want to continue on the path to baptism and joining the church, even after making huge changes in their lives and experiencing the blessings from doing so. A few of our investigators have done a full 360' and are now worse off than when we found them.

I was sure glad that Hernan was able to make it to church this week. Keeping the Sabbath day holy will be the hardest thing for him to do. He’s quite shy, and I don’t know if he feels very comfortable around all the other members. This week he started talking to a few of the members in between classes, so we hope he will get absorbed into the little Monay Mormon community.

So I guess it is Good Bye for now,
Love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment