Monday, August 1, 2011

Mi Recinto

Dear Family,

Hope you had a good time in Oregon.  Sometimes I still say that is where I am from.  I tell them that is where Nike is.  Washington is where Microsoft is.  Sometimes I just say I was born in the Bronx.  People like that one the most because they know where it is.  "You're from a barrio dañado, también (damaged neighborhood, too)?Well sort of.  Actually, I lived with Jewish medical students.  I did have my diapers stolen, though.

For Faro, they had a cultural night that I think you would have enjoyed.  They made food and did traditional dances from each of the different providences of Ecuador.  Everyone’s favorite part was when the Relief Society President’s family represented Los Ríos and did impersonations of the main character from a TV show here called Mi Recinto .  He runs around swinging a machete, makes lots of double entendres, and talks funny like they do in Los Ríos and Manabí.

Next week, Elder Garcia and I are hoping to visit Maricón and Las Peñas, Guayaquil’s traditional neighborhood.  There are a couple of good sites there.  Elder Garcia also wants to look for a cheap iPod in Ecuador’s largest flea market, La Bahia.

This week, Joao brought a couple of his friends to church.  They were not all that impressed and tried to run off after sacrament meeting, but Joao chased them down and brought them back to the corral.  One of them tried hiding in the girl’s bathroom.  He has won a couple more karate tournaments.  His mom, Hermana Dioselina, got mad at him the other day because he was in the newspaper and did not tell anyone.  He does not like too much attention.  I also just learned today that Pablo Elizalde passed away.  I am sure glad I got opportunity to get to know him.

Elder Ludlam and President Montalti
Recently, President Montalti has been asking this question a lot.  "How do you feel about the Savior?  The plan of Salvation?  The Book of Mormon?  Elder Nash also talked about those questions when he came a few months ago.  It can actually be quite an introspective question if you don’t just quote or paraphrase a scripture.  It is what I have been thinking about and I wanted to know your thoughts on it.  President Montalti’s other favorite question recently has been "Do your key indicators reflect the doctrine of Christ?"  You don’t need to answer that one.

Bup sure looks great in that picture you sent.

Well, I’ll talk to you soon.

Nannels


No comments:

Post a Comment