Monday, October 24, 2011

Holes

Dear Family,

How are you all this week?  I got a big huge letter last week.  I think the first person to write in the week has their name written as the sender of all the letters.  At first, I thought Holty had written me an 8-page letter.  You will have to tell Mr. Grease Lightning to ask his Chilean exchange student ¿Qué tal, po?

Well, the camera does not work.  I have a few pictures with Elder Fares but I still need to get them from him.  If we take any pictures, I can get them from my companion.  If you want me to start taking my own pictures, you could risk sending a camera.  I don’t know when I could get permission to go buy one. 

Madre, Ana, Karla, Simone, Carlos Vallejo
What I do need is for you to wire me money for new shoes.  These soles are starting to fall apart again and they are starting to mess up my feet again.  The leather has so many holes, it does not make much sense changing the soles again. 

I am glad Ava is really enjoying running.  Sometimes I wish I could just take off and run.  Every once in a while I have to run after the bus.  I liked being able to run like that.  It is kind of a release.  Sometimes I think of throwing out my arms like John Dunbar and saying, "Matenme...porque me duelen los pies."  (Kill me…because my feet hurt.) What XC events are you doing, Ava?  The Beaverton cross country team had a sweatshirt that said, "Our sport is your sport's punishment."  I thought Ava might like that.

Things are going well here in Amazonas.  My companion and I are plucking along.  Lia, when you read Heart of Darkness, after learning about Kurtz, you will be able to answer your questions about my situation. 

Anyway, I will talk to you later,

Victor das Kinder Taufer

Well, I don't know what I'll do about the new one-at-a-time on the computer rule.  Maybe I can send you more snail mail.  This is starting to feel like another Sánchez.  I have always felt that I lost to him, but this time I hope we can end our time together on a better note.  President said something interesting to me.  He told me that he thought I was a good person, but I need to talk.  If I don't talk, people will think I am a bad person.  I think I have found that to be true.

El Actual has certainly done handstands looking for anything he can use to convince himself that I am a bad man.  I think I need to learn to open up.  First, I'll get to know myself and then maybe I'll give people a l'tour di Victor.  I used to like that Billy Joel song, "In every heart, there is a place, a sanctuary safe and sure."

Ava can help you find it.  I used to think it was such a wonderful idea, having my own personal hermit, emotional safe house where I never let anyone in.  I guess it probably doesn't work that way.  "I am a Rock," by Simon and Garfunkel will have to go to.  What do you think?  How do I bring down the Fortress walls around my yo interior?   I read a poem about that once.

No comments:

Post a Comment