Monday, October 31, 2011

Día de los Defuntos


Dear Family,

How are you all this week?  I have been excited all week waiting to find out what my sisters will be today.  Is there not a single kitty among you?  You’ll have to send me exactly what everyone is.  Here in Ecuador, for día de los defuntos they make a special drink called Colada Morada and make people-shaped cookies called guaguas de pan.  I never realized it but when I got here last year I tried them a lot but then forgot about them after the holiday was over.  Now that it is that time of year again, it is bringing back memories from back when I was new.

We had a good week.  We were able to get a good number of people to church this week.  Elder Johnson did a really good job during our meeting with the ward missionaries getting everybody excited about helping us to bring people to church.  Yesterday, we had 6 other people to help us comb every part of our sector, reminding everyone to come to church.  I have some things I can learn about leadership.

This week, there was a baptism for a little girl in the ward.  She brought her neighbors, a Grandma and her grandson, Roy.  I guess Roy really liked the service, because he was excited to come to church the next day with his mom.  Liliana, the mom, told us that usually Roy is a misbehaved boy that likes to play video games all day.  When the grandma tried to get him to go to the baptismal service, he threw a big fit but eventually went.  The next day, however, he got up all by himself and asked his mom to take him to church.  The mom realized something really weird was going on and decided to come to church and had a great time.  She participated in the Gospel Principles lesson like she was a member.  She has been praying to find God in her life.  We are very excited about their family.

These last two weeks I got to go to the temple.  We got to go with all the missionaries from Elder Johnson’s group.  I overheard President Montalti telling the Assistants that he liked how it went and wants to try it with other groups.  I think it would be great to be able to have a session in the temple together with Elder Fares, Heaps, Snow, Badger and the gang.  I hope we get to do it.

Well, I am looking forward to my shoe box package.  Hope to hear from you soon.
El Naño

No comments:

Post a Comment