Monday, January 9, 2012

FedEx Made it Up the Mountain!


Querido Familia,

How are you all?  El paquete Fedex ha llegado! (he just got his Fedex pkg that was sent at the end of November)  I love the Mesías (Messiah) CDs even though they got here a little late.  I had the Betalehemu on another CD you had sent me so I was able to play it Christmas morning.

We found a really good investigator this week.  His name is Jorge.  About 20 years ago, he had a few lessons with sister missionaries.  They eventually went home and he stopped investigating the church, but still takes out the Book of Mormon every once in a while.  He said that he thinks it contains some "inarguable truths" and says he feels peace while reading from it.  We helped him sort out all these perceptions and he told us he thought Joseph Smith was a prophet and got excited to come to church.  The only problem is that about a year ago a pastor from another church helped him turn his life around and he is not quite ready to reject the baptism he had with them.

Our mission leader, Pedro Juela
He came to church which is really exciting.  I was a little worried because in the last year he has learned of the Bible and our Gospel Doctrine teacher was not that prepared and I think he wasn’t too impressed.  At the end of the lesson, one of the recent converts asked some questions he had been struggling with lately and the teacher was able talk about that for a while. Jorge also gave his opinion, and the teacher was able to bear his testimony about how he knew the church was true.  I don’t think I explained that very well, but that opportunity to have a close up look at how a Latter-Say Saint thinks and feels was better then any slick, well-done lesson full of doctrinal complexity for our investigator.  It is like what Elder Perry (I think) said in his talk.  We should not try and dress up our beliefs to make them seem more than they really are.  The true fruits of the gospel will always show themselves.

Well, my companion and I have been going contact-locos (crazy).  We decided that is the best way to fight off disanimos (discouragement).  Jorge was our harvest for this week. We hope to find some more good people this week.

Anyway, I just got a little reminder about how we need to control what goes up on our blogs.  No full names, addresses, occupations, or problems the investigator is going through in their personal life or in order to be baptized.  There is a letter they sent out about this about 8 months ago and I just got another one so I think someone in the office might be sending me a subtle hint?

Love you all a ton,
Nanners
Elder Marquez les dice hola.

No comments:

Post a Comment