Monday, April 23, 2012

GA's Make Me Giddy


Well, somehow I just deleted my whole email.  I will try and rewrite it at light speed.  Please forgive the spelling.  When is Sophie’s departure date?  She’ll be right there for the second coming.

This next week we are having a special satellite conference for just Ecuador.  They are treating it as a Stake Conference, but it will be conducted from SLC.  Also, we are hoping Elder Piños will come in June to visit the mission.  Lots of GAs (General Authorities) in such a short time makes me giddy.

These past few weeks we have been teaching a guy named Jorge.  We have been teaching him with the Zone Leaders because he lives on the border of our area and we are not sure which ward he belongs in.  (Actually we are sure.  He belongs in our ward, but the zone leaders get to talk with the Stake President every week so they took him.)  Every time he has had problems with keeping the commitments, the have said to us, "I think he really does belong to your ward," and then hand us his teaching record.  Later, when they would hear that he was reading and praying again, they’d make us surrender the teaching record and take over his enseñanza (teachings). 

Last week he got baptized.  We got to talk with him the other day.  When people receive a remission of their sins, it really opens up a whole new world for them.  I like just listening to him talk about his plans for his new life (Mosiah 5:3).  He comes from a part-member family and they always say that they thought he’d be the last person in the family to get baptized.  From being pretty anti-Mormon, now all he wants in life is for his son to go on a mission and for his family to go together to the temple so they can get sealed to his hijo fallecido (deceased son).  He can be happy now that he can see so many opportunities to enjoy life that he couldn’t see in his previous lifestyle.  The gospel changes people.

(abbreviated) Feely
This past week I've been pretty angry with some ward member for several separate incidents that happened last Sunday.  I spent the week kind of bitter and just hoping Id get transferred next week.  One of the people I was mad at was the Bishop.  I had been struggling to try and get rid of my bad feelings but I just couldn't let it go.  (Having sympathetic whining sessions with our Elders who had had problems with him in the past did not do much to help)  Yesterday, he went out to visit with us.  As we finished one of our lessons, I looked down to find my bag to put away my scriptures when I found the Bishop packing up my bag for me.  He bent down, picked up my umbrella on the floor, gave me a wink, and handed me my things.  I was really surprised how effectively that small service helped dissipate any negative feelings I was experiencing.  I might have gone through another whole week of just being angry, but that one small act of kindness just made life so much easier for everyone.  It made everything a little brighter.
 
Well, I was going to try and write to Holt and Levi, but I think I’ll have to wait until next week.

Love, Elder Nu Nu

No comments:

Post a Comment