Monday, July 9, 2012

Divine Help


Happy Moving Day!

I hope these moving people don’t try and back the moving truck into the front of the house.  Or roll it into a ditch.  I hope you get some good sleep after all your journeys.

I like having p-day at four-day intervals.  I think I’ll have to write and tell the president we should change.  The other day he was asking if we’d like working a whole transfer without p days and then having a week of p days.  We used to have lunch every Monday, but it took up too much time, so we canceled and just ate in the house.  We weren’t sure how to make rice, so we asked a neighbor for help.  She got a kick out of it.

This past week we found an inactive guy.  He’s been a member most of his life until he started living with a nonmember.  She got him going to her church, so he hasn’t come for a while.  He was pretty happy to see us.  We taught her the restoration and it went pretty well.  Hopefully, our lesson today goes well.  We are still trying to find some good people.  We’ve been trying to improve the quality of our contacts by talking to the people awhile first before starting to teach doctrine because then we can know them better and say stuff that will be more meaningful for them.  So far it has felt like it has been working.  We had a couple good conversations at least. 

President has talked a lot recently about just enjoying yourself.  It is a privilege to be able to go out everyday and just look for good persons.  I have been trying to do that.  There have been times in the mission when I just enjoyed contacting and then other times it just feels like a chore.  I like listening to people.  It is true that really everyone has problems that they don’t know how to deal with and they need the perspective and hope that only the eternal gospel can give.  If I’ve learned anything on the mission, it is how to be a little more spiritually self-sufficient.  I hardly have all the answers, but at least I know where to look for them.

I have been trying to figure out why Elder Velasquez and I were able to have so much success together.  I have realized that there is no way I could ever have converted any of these people if I didn’t have divine help.  I guess this is really His Work and His Glory.  Sometimes we need to just take ourselves out of the picture.  So I guess now if I want to finish having helped some more people, the only way to do it is doing it His way.

Well, I was hoping to get some good pictures of the reunion and the move, but I can wait until next week.  Does this mean you’re not going to send any more DearElders?  I’d be careful sending any more letters because I’m not sure how long it’ll take to get here.  I don’t think the mission will forward mail.  Do we have a new phone number?  I need to tell Elder Johnson about my new address.

Love, the boy with lots of boxes of junk you just shipped across the continental U.S.

President gave us a new rule we can't post any pictures without permission on a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment